Anything fried (usually) tastes amazing. The first “pakoda” I ate here in Kathmandu was vegetable pakoda and ever since I have been a huge fan. In addition to paneer and vegetable pakoda, you can also find chicken pakoda, onion pakoda, egg pakoda, aloo (potato) pakoda, and the list goes on. And when fried just right it is très bon.
Let’s look at our list of ingredients…
You will need:
- Paneer, diced about 20 pieces
- Gram flour 3 tbsp
- Wheat flour 2 tbsp
- Egg 1
and the following seasonings and spices…
- Green coriander 1 tbsp
- Ginger/garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala 1/2 tsp
- Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soybean oil to fry
Follow this easy 3-step method to make the most delicious paneer pakoda!
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl or container to make a thick batter by adding 100 ml of water.
2. Heat oil (if you don’t have soybean oil don’t fret, sunflower or olive will work just fine, too) in a frying pan. Coat the paneer in the batter and deep fry.
3. Once the paneer/mix becomes brown in color remove the fried paneer from the plan and place directly on plate or soak up the excess oil by placing on a paper napkin.
You just made paneer pakoda!
For added flavor, you can also sprinkle some chat masala over the pakoda once it’s finished frying.
Serve as a light snack or appetizer. No doubt that everyone will gobble it up! I mean who doesn’t love the idea of fried cheese!? 😉 Before you go, check out this mouthwatering recipe: Nepalese chicken curry.
Thanks for stopping by and bon appétit!