Nepali foods are diverse in taste and rich in culture. Nepalese cuisine results from Tibetan and Chinese foods but is largely based on recipes common in India.
As a diverse country, you can expect traditional Nepali foods to branch out and associate with certain communities present in Nepal, like the Newars and the Thakalis.
Nepalese cuisine has a unique, distinct flavor which is achieved by mixing spices with different ingredients and it all results in a delicious “Mmm, that’s good!” exclamation.
Nepali Chicken Curry Recipe
Discover the yumminess of chicken curry Nepali style! (kukhura ko masu)
Follow the step-by-step directions below to make a traditional Nepali chicken curry. You won’t be disappointed!
This recipe serves 4-5 persons and takes approximately 30 minutes to prepare. For measurement unit conversions, try this site here.
- Chicken 500 gm
- Onion 70 gm
- Mustard oil 30 ml
- Bay leaves 2 pieces
- Tomatoes 60 gm
- Coriander 2 tbsp
- Ginger/garlic paste 1 tbsp
- Meat masala (flavor) 1 tsp
- Cumin powder 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric powder 1/2 tsp
- Chop onion, tomatoes, and chicken into small pieces
- Fry onions until golden brown, add chicken to pan
- Add bay leaves and turmeric (if using) and let sit for 5-10 minutes
- Add ginger/garlic paste, cumin powder, red chili powder (if using), meat masala, and salt to taste
- Cover pan and let simmer for 5 minutes over gentle heat, stirring occasionally
- Add tomatoes, coriander, and water as required to make sauce
- Serve and enjoy your new Nepalese chicken curry recipe!
Learn Nepali! Nepalese chicken curry recipe vocabulary:
- Chicken curry – kukhura ko masu
- Cumin powder – jira dhulo
- Red chili powder – khursani dhulo
- Bay leaves – tejpatta
- Mustard oil – tori ko tel
- Ginger – adhuwa
- Garlic – lasun
- Tomato – golbheda
- Coriander – dhaniya
- Salt – nun (noon)
Thumbs up! In this post, you have learned...
- A delicious & simple new recipe of Nepalese cuisine
- 10 (food) words of the Nepali language!
Now that you have tonight’s main dish, try this authentic French crêpe recipe for dessert! Look at that, a mix of cultures!